IPCEA online resource icon

IPCEA Resources

  • IPCEA provides answers to common questions for public access.
  • Approved faculty members receive access to our proprietary library.  Application and board review/approval are required.
IPCEA online resources

Volunteer Interest?

If interested in volunteering for an IPCEA experience in China, please complete our Faculty Application Form below.  All other inquiries and questions can be directed via our general content form.

FAQ Section decoration
Global health medicine icon

Frequently Asked Questions

Answers to many general questions.  Contact us if you require further assistance (please allow some extra time for a reply).

General Questions

How can I volunteer for an IPCEA teaching trip?

Those interested in becoming physician volunteers must complete the online faculty application form which is then reviewed by members of the IPCEA Board of Directors.  If approved to join the faculty, our program directors recruit and assign team members based on need and faculty availability.

Do I need to speak Mandarin to volunteer for a trip?

No, although it is helpful!  Our Chinese physician colleagues generally speak English and for certain large presentations, we utilize translators.

What does a typical teaching week entail?

The IPCEA train-the-trainer programs are generally comprised of a full week of teaching, Monday through Friday.  Bookended weekends are reserved for travel and site seeing.  Our faculty oversee case-based learning with actual patients, provide clinical skills training, lead simulated patient discussions, and provide one half-day of lectures focused on the primary care approach to specific and common medical conditions. Faculty also produce an end-of-the-week quiz for the learners which is reviewed together afterward.

What are the out-of-pocket expenses for a faculty member?

Our Chinese partners provide reimbursement for airfare, visas, and medical evacuation insurance.  They also provide hotel rooms, meals, and local transportation during the week.  Travel to another city, souvenirs, snacks, and other tourist activities are the responsibility of the individual faculty member.

What travel documents do I need to travel to China?

Travel to China requires a valid passport and Chinese visa.

How does the IPCEA maintain communications with its Chinese partners?

The IPCEA continues to communicate with our Chinese partners on a regular basis through e-mail, videoconferencing, and the use of the WeChat application.

How has IPCEA been impacted by COVID-19?

As a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, the IPCEA has suspended live training activities in China.  The IPCEA continues to communicate with our Chinese partners who remain very interested in re-starting and starting new training programs. The IPCEA continues to monitor travel conditions and restrictions.


When was IPCEA formed?
The IPCEA was officially formed in 2008.  Please see the IPCEA History page to learn more about the founding of the IPCEA.
Does IPCEA have a physical mailing address?

The IPCEA does not have a physical office location.  Feel free to share information, questions, and upload documents via this website.

Is IPCEA a tax deductible charity?

Currently, the IPCEA is not a charitable organization as defined by the United States Internal Revenue Service.  Donations to support the activities of the IPCEA can be directed through the ACOFP Research and Education Foundation, an Illinois not‐for‐profit corporation.

Please Complete our Faculty Application Form

The IPCEA is always looking to engage enthusiastic, board-certified family physicians with a heart for service, teaching, and embracing new cultures. Faculty appointments at an accredited U.S. medical school are required, preferably at the level of associate professor or above.  Experience in teaching medical residents and/or medical students is also required.

[et_pb_wpt_gravityform gravityform_id=”gf-2″ title=”off” description=”off” _builder_version=”4.17.6″ _module_preset=”default” label_font=”Montserrat|700|||||||” label_text_color=”#000000″ sub_label_font=”Montserrat||||||||” sub_label_text_color=”#006A82″ field_description_font=”Montserrat||||||||” input_font_font=”Montserrat||||||||” checkbox_radio_field_font=”Montserrat||||||||” placeholder_font=”Montserrat|300|||||||” placeholder_text_color=”#757575″ consent_checkbox_font=”Montserrat||||||||” consent_description_font=”Montserrat||||||||” validation_error_heading_font=”Montserrat|700|||||||” asterisk_text_legend_font=”Montserrat|300|||||||” section_field_title_font=”Montserrat|700|||||||” section_field_description_font=”Montserrat||||||||” custom_form_button=”on” form_button_text_color=”#FFFFFF” form_button_bg_color=”#006A82″ form_button_border_width=”1px” form_button_border_color=”#757575″ form_button_border_radius=”3px” form_button_font=”Montserrat||||||||” form_button_alignment=”right” global_colors_info=”{}”][/et_pb_wpt_gravityform]